What is web design and development?
Web design and development is an umbrella term that describes the process of creating a website. Like the name suggests, it involves two major skill sets: web design and web development. Web design determines the look and feel of a website, while web development determines how it functions.
Because there isn’t always a hard line that separates the two roles, the titles are often used interchangeably. As the web continues to evolve, so do the roles.
In the almost 30 years since the first website was created, numerous job titles have emerged to describe various skill sets used to create a website, with more coming out every year. These titles often overlap, and their meanings change from company to company. It’s enough to make your head spin.
The difference between Web design and development
The first step in our web design and development journey is to clarify the difference between web design and website development, since the two are closely related and often (mistakenly) used interchangeably:
- Web design refers to the visual design and experiential aspects of a particular website. We’re going to dive into more detail about web design throughout the rest of this article.
- Website development refers to the building and maintenance of a website’s structure, and involves intricate coding systems that ensure the website functions properly.
Web design and development languages
The following are the software languages most commonly used by web developers to build a website:
- HTML or HyperText Markup Language, is a coding language used to create the front end of websites. It is written to include the structure of a web page and carried out by web browsers into the websites that we see online.
- CSS or Cascading Style Sheets is a programming design language that includes all relevant information relating to a webpage’s display. CSS works with HTML to design the style and formatting of a website or page, including the layout, fonts, padding, and more.
- CMS or a Content Management System, is a computer software application that manages the digital content of a website. Wix is an example of a CMS, which functions as a user-friendly system for website content development. This makes it possible for individuals to create a website and make updates without the knowledge of using code.
Web design and development tools
Web designers require their own unique set of tools to create and design. There are a few key elements that will determine which types you’ll use, and at which stage you’ll need them.
Here are a few questions to consider: How big is your team? What kind of budget do you have? What kind of technical requirements will your site need? What is the overall aesthetic you wish to achieve? Will you create an adaptive or responsive design? What is the purpose of your website? The answers to these questions will also help you understand which kind of website builder you want to work with, or other design software tools.
Website builders like Wix are great since they don’t require code, and come equipped with a range of ready-made templates suitable to every industry. For novice web designers, website builders are a great foundational tool that can easily be customized both in terms of visual elements and functionality. For more experienced web designers, Editor X is the ideal platform with more advanced features for layouts, interactions, effects and designed assets.
Design software tools such as Figma, Photoshop and Sketch can be used to create wireframes, custom features and design elements. However, the major difference with these tools is that all elements must be converted to code. While these tools offer creative flexibility and collaborative integrations like hand-off features to web developers, they can require more time, knowledge and resources.
As you gain more experience with a range of web design tools, you’ll know which are best suited to you and your business needs.
How can DXTCOM help you?
DXTCOM provides you with a team of web developers and designers passionate about the digital world to develop a website that reflects your passion and professionalism.